Saturday, October 10, 2009

Back on the Band Wagon

Although I haven't been posting lately, I have been trying to get my workouts done. September was hard month around here. Bouts of colds and flu kept us all under the weather or busy taking care of sick ones. I still have s light head cold, but I'm back getting my workouts in.

I absolutely love my heart monitor. It makes riding the exercise bike so much more challenging. I don't have to ride with my hands on the handles to watch my heart rate. I love being able to keep track of how hard I'm working. And I've learned that intervals are definitely the way to work out.

The weather here has turned pretty cold in the morning. And I've so missed my walks. So this morning I got up, laced up my walking shoes and went to the rec center. I really don't like walking indoors. But since winter is fast approaching, I better get used to it. Either I walk in the mornings at the rec center or I get it done right after work when it's still a little warm. My goal is to do 3 days on the bike and 3 days walking.

I put on my heart rate monitor and my pedometer. I've tested the pedometer at the walking park, so I know it's pretty accurate. That is much easier than having to count laps. It takes about 14 to make a mile. I walked for about 25 minutes and then starting doing some short jogging intervals. It was probably only about 1/4 of the track, but it's a start. And I have to say that it did get my heart rate up. I've got to figure out a way to keep track of how many intervals I do. Not sure how to work that out. Right now I can't jog each time around the track. I jog then walk a couple laps then jog again. But it felt so good that I could even jog at all. By the end of the my 60 minutes my legs were burning. I'm sure I'll be a little sore tomorrow, but I did it. My goal has been to do 3 miles in the 60 minutes. Because of the jogs I ended up going 3.15 miles. This is so addictive. If somebody would have told me years ago that I would desperately miss my workouts, I would have told them they were stark raving mad. But I do. My days go better when I get up and workout first thing. I have learned that working out helps me mentally and emotionally as much as it does the physical. Maybe even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment