Thursday, April 2, 2009

Walking: Day Two

I got off work today and decided to get my walking in before everybody gets home. If I wait before I know it, it's bedtime and I haven't gotten it done. So I pulled up the Couch to 5k site to see how far. Of course, I was sure it was ten minutes the first week. Oh, wow, it's 15 minutes today. The weather outside is so awful. The wind is blowing like crazy and it's even trying to snow again. So fifteen minutes on the treadmill with the incline? Oh, no way.




I spent five minutes looking for boards to put under the end, so it would be level. Then I thought 'oh, good grief. By the time you find the boards you'll be out of time. You did it for ten minutes, you can do it for 15 or die trying." As I pulled the treadmill out, I realized there were a couple wooden shelves back there, so I did cheat a little and put them under the back legs. It made a little difference. I figured it needs about 2 1/2 inches to be level, and this added maybe 1 inch. So I bit the bullet and got on and turned it on.

It really frustrated me that I can't just walk without holding on. I read an article online that says if you hold on at all you are taking some of your weight off and not getting as good of a workout. So I turned it on to 1.7 mph and started walking. I was able to do quite a bit without holding one. Then I would get a little wobbly and hold on for a few seconds. I also was able to up the speed to 2.2 for maybe 6 minutes in the middle. I did the 15 minutes!

2 comments:

  1. Way to go. I actually did a little jogging the other night. I was hurting when I got done but I did it. The next day I went and bought some good running shoes to help with the pain. I guess I am committed now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I haven't been able to read but I'm at least back in the US now so I can comment. I didn't keep track of minutes while I was walking but I did keep track of steps. My lowest step day in the UK was 19000 and highest was over 36000 so maybe not time wise, but I KNOW I walked enough. I've read somewhere that 10000 steps is about 3 miles. So I'm gonna call myself good and start up on Tuesday when I finally get home (yes Tuesday, nothing like a three day delay in getting home is there?)

    ReplyDelete