Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Advice From an Expert Pt 1

My oldest son is an expert on health and staying in shape. He's been in the Army 14 years, and he runs every day more than I will in the 5k. So I caught him online to pick his brain. Here are the highlights of his advice:

1. Eating healthy is just as important as working out.

2. The most important thing is that you aren't on a 'diet' but instead are changing your eating habits. Diets end and then you go back to bad habits but if you change your habits then you will be successful in the long run.

3. Lots of vegetables (potatoes aren't vegetables, moderate amounts of whole fruits (no juice), whole grains which is different then things which say multigrain. You don't want multigrain, you want whole grains. Oatmeal, whole wheat, brown rice not white rice, and lean meats. also most people have a cheat day once a week but that doesn't mean you eat whatever you want because then you just ruin all the work you did all week. Evcen your cheat should be moderate.

4. Always remember that you have to burn 2500 calories to lose one pound which equals swimming 1 mile, running 12 miles or biking 50 miles.

5. I asked about sweet potatoes and his response was "no sweet potatoes are starches also. If it isn't red or green then it isn't a vegetable.

Stay tuned: the next post will be his advice about working with weights.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like Chris alright!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, of course I am so in. I'm in Colrado now, but love taking trips back to see family and a race makes it even more fun. I was just thinking of this race Ruth did last night...remembering how hard it was for her, more uphill than she thought...I really wanted to run that one with her (I was in SC then). So not this summer, but next summer (2010) right? Either way, I'm in. Thanks for sharing this memeory

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan,
    That sounds like an opportunity I can't pass up! I would love to join the masses in running a race in memory of our Nick, Ruth and Audrey! I have felt her with me many times when I am alone running and ache for times past. I appreciate you putting this together. I look forward to joining the team (and dropping a few pounds while I'm at it). I was so proud of Ruth that day. What a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea I think. The last time I did any running (highschool) I has shin splints. A co-worker is telling me to try it again, make sure I have good shoes, and ease into it. So ya I'm in. I am also reading a book call the insulin resistant diet, that tells you how to link your protein and carbs so your body dosn't make too much insulin, and turns everything to fat. It is a good consept.

    ReplyDelete