Saturday, March 21, 2009

Why Am I Doing This?

This website is dedicated to the memory of my daughter-in-law Ruth. Three years ago she started training for a 5K race. She had been walking to lose weight and get in shape. As I recall her sister helped influence her toward the 5K. At the time I was engaged to be married and was going to move and live with them for three months before my wedding. After the wedding I would be living in the same town, so we made big plans. We were going to start walking together and the next year do a 5k together.

The move and the wedding never took place, so I never got the opportunity to work out or be in a face with Ru. But I drove to Provo and watched her in that race, and it was so inspiring to see her face when she crossed that finish line. My son was sooo proud of her for accomplishing her dream. Life is what happens when you're making other plans. Just over one and a half years ago Nick, Ru and their daughter Audrey were killed in a tragic car accident. Our family had a miracle because their daughter, Joie, survived and is a beautiful, healthy little girl today. I have always been sorry that I never ran with Ru.

Last fall I had major surgery on my stomach and my gall bladder removed. When I stepped on the scale two days before surgery I was shocked at how much weight I had gained again. I have spent years doing the yo-yo dieting thing. The doctor had a little chart showing my BMI, and he didn't say a word as he showed it to me. The wonderful thing about the surgery is that it has totally changed my eating habits. I am healthier than I have been in years and have lost 42 lbs. I ride my stationery bike 40 minutes a day and love it.

My favorite show is The Biggest Loser. This season I am working hard along with those people, and it has been fantastic to watch. Last week's episode had all of them running a 1/2 marathon. It was incredibly motivating to watch them accomplish this. The look on their faces as they crossed the finish line made me start thinking of Ru and the 5K I was going to run with her someday. So I set a new goal.

On July 4th, 2010 I will be running a 5K. And the reason this blog is called a challenge is because I am challenging both families to run along with me in memory of Ru. For those who can't come to Provo, just get up that morning and run where ever you can. This challenge is also opened to anyone else that wants to run with us.

I have a wonderful friend, Angela, who is going to run alongside me. We've been friends for years through good times and bad. She shared this website with me which is where we got the idea for the name. There are already five of us following the program.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Programs/conservative_program.htm

The official start date is going to be April 1st, 2009. I want to get as many people to do this as possible. This is the place to come for motivation, sharing your failures and successes, and just to chat about what you are doing. So come on, get off the couch and run!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Aunt Susan 42lb weightless that's amazing. Good for you! You know you need to post some pictures of yourself. I think that doing a 5k in Ruth's name is an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete