Monday, March 30, 2009

Come On, Get Ready

I woke up this morning with an old Temptations song running through my head. At least the chorus was. It says (Get ready 'cause here I come) I'm on my way.
(Get ready 'cause here I come). And that's how I feel this morning. Here I come, world, watch out.

I am about to embark on a major change in my life. Just the idea of running the 5K is absolutely thrilling for me. I have heard from a few of you that you are going to be right there with me. I hope you will pass the word to anybody else you think might be interested. I hope more will join us. I'd love to see a big group there running. The training is scheduled to start on April 1st. But since that is a Wednesday, I have altered mine a little. I walked ten minutes for three days last week just to see if I could do it. I'm going to be doing my walking on Monday-Wednesday-Friday-Saturday. So I will be starting today to train. Please let me know when you are starting. I realize it is a seven month program, and we could just start in Jan 2010. But who wants to start walking in January? This is Evanston in April, so it's gonna be hard enough to start now. We've had snow all last week, and the forecast is for more this week. I decided that this is still the best time of year to start, and I will just have to keep running when I'm done with the 7 months.

So, come on, get ready and join me. Let's do this in memory of Ru. Let's do this for each other. And let's just do this for you! I told Marsha last night that when I started back on my bike after surgery, I could only go 3 minutes at a very, very slow pace. I couldn't believe that was all I could do. But I did the 3 minutes and after a few days I could go 5. Now I ride at least 4 days a week at 40 minutes. This is not bragging here. This is just saying that if I can do it, anybody can. That was the first of December four months ago. Imagine how we will all feel and what we can do four months from now. Take baby steps, take it one week or one day at a time. Set small goals. Try it with me for 30 days and see how you feel. I think you will be amazed at the difference. And keep your comments coming here. Let me know how you are doing and how you feel. Keep encouraging each other. Because I know that we can all do this!

So come on, get ready, cuz here WE come! We're on our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment